Sunday, May 15, 2011

Poem of the Week

Freedom

print version published in Zen Baby



the University of California
would pay me to finish
my novel there

but not for another week
& it was still hot in Texas
& I knew Scotty
& Scotty drank
& in Texas you can't say
goodbye to a drinker without
tying
one on with him:
Scotty & I hit
his favorite bar

no doubt because
I planned to leave town

we met interested women

beer in us took
Scotty to their
place while for some
reason necessary for
the group's fun
I drove Scotty's car (carefully) to his
house

double-parked

found myself unable
to unlock his front door &

therefore broke in
through a window

I was seeking
something I
no longer remembered
& not finding it when
I heard brakes screech

a crash & the squeal
of tires: another car had
pummeled Scotty's &

left

I cussed in Scotty's living room

turned off its light as
a squad car arrived but
the cop still
knocked
on Scotty's door

to avoid
charges of d.u.i. &
breaking & entering
& retracted

freedom to end that novel
I hid in Scotty's

bathtub

the knocks
stopped I fell
asleep hoping
this was the kind
of ordeal
drunks are happy
to understand
& now I want to thank
Scotty it was